The name and address of the owner of a vehicle are considered private information. However, there are several services that allow you to find a car owner with his license plate number. This is extremely useful, especially if you have been involved in an accident or if the aggressor has fled.
Ways to find a car owner with his license plate number
The process of finding the information behind a license plate number online is very quick and easy.
To get started, you need to have a complete plate number. Then use these reverse search services and enter the license plate number in the search engine and click the Search button.
By using these sites, just by having the license plate number, you will be able to obtain this information:
- Name of the plate holder
- Owner’s address and phone number
- Owner’s criminal history reports
- Owner’s email address and social media accounts
- Vehicle VIN number
- Vehicle registration information
To help you, we have divided this list into countries with the best-recommended service to find all the information available about the car owner:
Recommended services to find the owner of a car with the number of plates:
- CARFAX – The most complete and updated information with all the details of the vehicle and its owner. You can find from the VIN of the car to the phone number and address of the owner.
- Experian AutoCheck – you’ll need to have your license plate number and registration status
- Department of Motors and Vehicles (DMV) search – you will need the state where the license plate is registered.
At CARFAX, you can search for information on car owners by name, vehicle identification number (VIN), or license plate number.
The Department of Engines and Vehicles (DMV) reports include:
- Car owner’s name
- Associated vehicles
- Registration and title information
- Criminal driving records
- DUI arrest records and police reports
- Police photos
- Car accidents
- Suspension of driver’s license
- Information on serious crimes and misdemeanours
- Sex Offender Listings
- Warranty information
- Arrest records
NOTE: License plate registration services (such as CARFAX ) do not collect any information about you, so when you request a report, the car owner will have no idea that you found their information.
The easiest way to find out all the information of the owner of a car with the registration number or frame is using the CARFAX service.
Read More: Find out Who own the license plate
This search service allows you to find all the information about this vehicle and its owner. From details of vehicle specifications, CO2 emissions, as well as any owner contact information.
You can also have specific details such as the location of the vehicle registration, the type of owner (natural person or legal entity), use of the vehicle (private or public) and whether there are co-owners of the vehicle.
- Argentina – DNRPA
- Bolivia – Single Registry for the Main Tax Administration
- Brazil – DETRAN
- Chile – National Registry of Assets
- Colombia – National Registry of Civil Status
- Costa Rica – Ministry of Finance
- Ecuador – Vehicle Consultation
- Guatemala – National Property Registry
- Honduras – Property Institute
- Mexico – REPUVE (Public Vehicle Registry)
- Nicaragua – National Transit Registry
- Panama – Unique Vehicle Registration
- Paraguay – Vehicle Registry
- Puerto Rico – Department of Transportation and Public Works
- Peru – National Registry of Identification and Civil Status
- Dominican Republic – Central Electoral Board
- El Salvador – Public Vehicle Registry
- Uruguay – Vehicle Registry
- Venezuela – National Institute of Land Transport
Google vehicle license plate search
If you have had no results finding a car owner with its license plate number, your last option will be to Google the license plate. In general, just enter the registration number and the state or country in which it is registered.
For the United States registered vehicles, it will be more useful to Google:
"DMV | city name | license plate"
This is a practical and legal method of searching for any information that Google has collected from public and government records.
How do these registration services work?
Most of the web pages mentioned in this article are known as third-party information providers.
These web pages pull records from the government (such as the Department of Engines and Vehicles), courts, and the vital statistics database. This saves you from doing multiple internet searches by yourself and touring the city to gather information.
Since all this information is public record and thanks to the Freedom of Information Law, you have the right to request this type of information about anyone you choose.
These sites help you find a car owner with its license plate number even if it is a registered car as a commercial vehicle.
By using some of these sites, you can also find a vehicle’s owner information with the VIN number.
VIN’s advanced search service instantly scans millions of vehicle records and delivers the most comprehensive vehicle ownership and history reports available.
Services to find the owner of a car with its registration number
Aside from helping you find a car owner with its license plate number, these services provide you with more information such as:
- Vehicle history with the number of owners, the duration of the vehicle with the owner and registration details. Details: How to get a vehicle report.
- List of possible problems and accidents recorded with this particular vehicle.
- Title Registration with histories for more than 60 types of brands.
- Car accident history with access to reported accident numbers.
A reverse search of a vehicle license plate can help you obtain all the information about its owner. You may find a license plate holder that you may have seen in a suspicious vehicle or one that appeared to be breaking the law.
Although some of this information is considered private and not accessible to the public, you can access the name of the holder of the plate.
How to use these services and find the car owner
Simply go to a license plate number search webpage, such as CARFAX, and enter the number in the online interface.
In a very short time, they will present you with a report with the information of the owner of the car. The good thing about this is that it generally will not cost a lot of money (in some cases it will be free), and you can do this search anonymously and quickly from your own computer.
More ways to find out who owns a car by having their license plate
If these services have not helped you find the owner of the vehicle you are looking for, there is still another very useful option:
Law enforcement agencies can help you find out who owns a vehicle if you have their registration number. However, you will need to have compelling evidence as to why you need this information.
In most cases, if you’ve been involved in a car accident and the driver has fled, law enforcement and transit agencies will be able to help you identify the car’s owner if you have the license plate number.
The police or Traffic Department will help you if you try to find out the owner of a car in cases of:
- A leaky accident
- The legal owner of a vehicle that appeared to be stolen. Also, you can mention that a foreigner or someone was driving it, but it was not the owner of the car.
The important thing is to remember that you need a compelling reason. You can’t just go in there and say “I’d like to find a badge.”
Many things can happen when you are driving, such as having the need to find a certain vehicle.
Maybe when you’re out and about driving around, you see someone who could be some drunk behind the wheel, whirling his car around.
The best thing to do is write down the license plate number of the vehicle so you can find the owner of the vehicle later. You would hate to see someone being hurt by some drunk driver irresponsibly.
How to find the owner of a car with his license plate number? Summary
Depending on the country where you reside, there are several ways to find the owner of a car using the license plate number. Remember that if it is an accident or you need to report a crime, the local police will be the best resource to find the owner of a car.
If you know of other ways to find the owner of a car with the license plate number or have any questions about this topic, leave us a comment below and we will help you solve your question.